Carpatho-Rusyns are one of the major ethnic groups of Pennsylvania. From the time they settled the state’s small towns and cities in the late 1870s until the present time, Carpatho-Rusyns have left an indelible mark on the state, and their story should be told. This blog is about a project that will do just that. Read more

Saturday, April 9, 2016

Sharing my research story in Annandale, Va.

I was graciously invited to be the guest speaker for the monthly meeting of the Men's Club of Epiphany of Our Lord Byzantine Catholic Church in Annandale, Virginia. On the evening of April 7, 2016, I spoke for about an hour and took questions from the approximately 20 members of the Men's Club in attendance.

At the end of the meeting, I was given this lovely framed certificate.


Many thanks to the Epiphany Men's Club for the opportunity and for being such a good audience. I hope to find more such opportunities in the future.

Original material is © by the author, Richard D. Custer; all rights reserved.

1 comment:

  1. My Father, Stephen Seman, attended the Men's Club presentation at Epiphany last Thursday. He drove up to Monongahela, PA (where I live) the next day to spend the weekend with our family. He was very excited about your talk and the information you presented. I am trying to piece together our history on my Dad's side of the family and am hitting a brick wall in 1908, when my Great-Grandfather came to the US. I think he entered illegally as I can find no records of his entry. His death certificate from 1925 says he died from Pulmonary Tuberculosis at the age of 36 and the doctor stated he had it for 31 years. I know TB stopped people from entering the US, so this is another reason I think he "slipped in". I know which cemetery he is buried in, but the church lost all records of the cemetery and since there is no headstone, I can't find his grave. I am frustrated but hope that maybe you can point me in the right direction for finding more information. His last name was Semanovich and his Americanized first name was George. You can contact me at sgs.hsc@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your feedback, inquiries, and suggestions. Hostile or off-topic comments will not be approved.